Thursday 29 November 2012


As some of you know, but many of you won’t, 

my beautiful girlfriend is currently fighting cancer.

In April 2012 she found a lump.

She went to see her GP, who referred her to the breast unit for a scan.

The scan led to a biopsy and we were told that there was a high chance that it was cancerous.

A week later, just a few days before her thirtieth birthday, we received confirmation that it was breast cancer.
She would need to undergo chemotherapy, surgery and potentially radiotherapy.

At time of writing, she has fought her way through 6 cycles of chemo and we’re now preparing ourselves for surgery in November and radiotherapy thereafter.

I’ve never met anyone in my life as strong and brave as her. If I were in her shoes, I wouldn’t have coped nearly as well and she makes me so proud.

You can follow her on twitter @eat_more_cake and read about her journey, her experiences and her fight. She’s happy to answer questions if any of you are worried, concerned, or curious about what we’ve been through and what it’s like to be diagnosed.

I’d like to say that I’ve been strong too, but I’ve often felt helpless and weak. Living with the constant feeling that there should be something more that I could do to make her feel better, to support her better and somehow take away her pain and suffering (chemo really is a horrible treatment).

Now that I know first hand what people go through following a diagnosis, what the families and those close to them feel and suffer, I have so much admiration and respect for charities who work hard, not only to fight for cures and awareness, but offer information, support and advice for all those affected.

And now I want to do all I can to help those charities and through them help others affected by the disease, other families who are struggling to cope and people in my shoes, who feel the way I do.

As helpless as I feel, I’ve found something that I can do, to help other people in the same situation.
I am going to challenge myself to raise money for Breakthrough Breast Cancer, one of the charities that undertake wonderful work in this particular field.

Next July, a team of 9 cyclists and I will be riding the 300 miles from London to Paris.
To challenge ourselves further and to raise more money for the cause, we’ll be setting off a day early from Bath (roughly another 120 miles).

We’re hoping to raise at least £20,000.

If you can help by donating anything, no matter how little the amount, you’ll be helping me, helping my girlfriend and helping thousands of others affected by breast cancer. You’ll be doing much more than you’ll ever know. If you can’t afford to donate, then please share this, tell your friends and help us reach our target.


Or text 'LEGS98' followed by the amount you want to donate to 70070.

Thank you for reading, and if you’re going through anything similar to me, I’m more than happy to talk.

Hannes

1 comment:

  1. ****taken from post on wordpress blog, written by Fruitofdoom****

    'I feel for you both and can somewhat appreciate what you must be going through. My father has lung cancer and has been left to it now with no further treatment, just that he be made as comfortable as possible and rely on his own will to battle against soul crushing odds.
    Naturally I am very upset and barely find the strength to remain focused, which opened my eyes to just how bad it must be for my mum and dad. Sure he’s our father and we love him dearly, but we have our partners and children ourselves too. For my mother, his wife, it must be a hundred times worse living in fear of losing the man you have loved and been with for nearly 30 years. I simply can’t imagine the fear my dad must be feeling facing the possibility of leaving his wife and children behind.
    Just this weekend my dad had a panic attack and I have never seen such fear in anyone’s eyes. Struggling for breath my mum, sister and I battled to calm his breathing, reassuring dad that he was indeed breathing. Shortly after I remained awake so that my mum and dad could sleep. Dad occasionally waking as he even feared sleep through not being aware of what was going on. But eventually I looked across to see my mum curled up next to dad, dads chest breathing softly and both looking peaceful. It brought a tear to my eye with such devotion and love in a scene. Someone being there with you to face the worst and never give up.
    I have a huge appreciation now for the fear this horrible disease causes, and the battle every day to not just get over it, but to do so and still smile.
    It’s warming to read about others fighting hard, being there for each other and contributing to causes trying to cure such an evil fate.
    Keep positive and I’m sure you’ll beat it together, and you sir are a proper man, who’s love and devotion should serve to many looking for what it means to be a hero'

    ReplyDelete